Sunday, January 17, 2016

January 17, 2016



The weather did turn colder yesterday as predicted. The temperature stayed in the 40s most of the day, but it was overcast and, for a time, we got a light rain.

The overnight low was expected to be 32°. I'll bet it got colder than that because I woke up well after sunrise this morning, and the temperature was 32°.

Experience tells me that, when it gets really cold, you just have to bite the bullet and run the heat enough to keep you warm. We're all trying to save money, but skimping on the heat in winter is foolish. It's an easy trap in which to fall when you live in Texas, and we have been lulled into a false sense of security that makes us want to continue to keep consumption down even when conditions change. My consumption lately has been at a level I normally see in the spring and fall.

But this is January. I have to expect some wintry conditions — even though this winter has been maybe the warmest I have seen around here with days when the temperature soared into the upper 70s, even low 80s at times. And, for most of this week, daytime highs were cool but not cold.

This morning's meter reading is 29408. Yesterday's reading was between 29365 and 29366. My consumption was 42½ kWh.

No comments:

Post a Comment