Thursday, May 23, 2013

May 23, 2013



The temperature stayed below 80° until about the middle of the afternoon yesterday and never got close to the mid–80s until nearly sunset, giving me what I expected to be another day of low electricity consumption.

We had cloud cover until early in the afternoon, but, by 3 o'clock, the sun was shining, and the warmer temperatures were noticeable, and I wasn't as certain as I had been.

To be honest, I didn't think I would stay in single digits. But I did expect to keep my usage well below my consumption level on this day last year, which was 25 kWh. After all, I was home nearly all day, and the air conditioning never kicked on once.

Anyway, it turned out I did keep my consumption in single digits for a second straight day. This morning's meter reading is 8984. Yesterday's meter reading was between 8976 and 8977 so consumption was about 7½ kWh. Compared to the previous 24 hours, that was a drop of more than 21%, which is really good news for me at this time of the year.

But the even better news is that, compared to this 24–hour period last year, consumption went down 70%.

The high temperature today is supposed to be 90° so I expect the trend to reverse itself — and I almost certainly won't see another single–digit kWh consumption day for five months.

This is, after all, Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment