Saturday, July 6, 2013

July 6, 2013



There is an interesting dynamic at work here these days.

In spite of all the lakes and rivers in this area, our humidity has been making our daily heat indices lower than the actual temperatures. That's the kind of thing that one sees in areas that don't have much in the way of lakes and/or rivers. As I have written here before, I used to see that kind of thing in Oklahoma.

I don't know what affect, if any, a heat index that is lower than the actual temperature has on my electricity consumption. For that matter, I don't know what affect a heat index that is higher than the actual temperature has on my electricity consumption, either. All I know to do is that it is hot — and, because of that, I try to run things less.

And that is what I tried to do. But I expected my usage to go up with the outside temperature.

I was in for a surprise today.

Yesterday, the forecast called for a high of 96°. I checked on conditions around 3 p.m. and the temperature was 95° (heat index 94°). Close enough. An hour later, the temperature was 96°, and the heat index was 95°.

This morning's meter reading is 9891. Yesterday's meter reading was 9867. Consumption in the last 24 hours has been 24 kWh, which is a decline of just below 8% from the previous 24 hours.

The drop is even more dramatic when compared to my consumption on July 6 of last year. This year's consumption was down by 33%.

No comments:

Post a Comment