Tuesday, January 15, 2013

January 15, 2013



I really didn't know what to expect this morning.

Sometime around 4 a.m., the temperature dropped and the area started getting a wintry mix — snow and sleet, possibly freezing rain in some areas. I woke up around 4:45 and heard some thunder outside.

When I got up around 6:30, I looked outside and, even though it was still dark, I could tell there was some white accumulation on the grass and the street was glistening, but traffic didn't seem to be having any problems.

Yet when daylight arrived and I started to make my way over to my meter, I discovered that my stairs were iced over, and I couldn't go anywhere.

I managed to get out of my apartment and down my stairs a couple of hours later when the temperatures apparently had risen above freezing. The stairs were still a little slick, but I still managed to negotiate them with no issues.

I was still dreading what I would find when I got to my meter, though.

Compared to yesterday morning, my reading wasn't bad. Perhaps that is because we got some sunshine yesterday afternoon, and the temperature was in the mid–40s.

It really wasn't much of a break, but it was something. This morning's reading was 7927. Yesterday's reading was between 7880 and 7881. Thus, my electricity consumption was about 46½ kWh. That is higher than any day I can remember last summer, but it represents a decline from the previous 24 hours. On Sunday, my reading was 7924 so my consumption from Sunday morning to Monday morning was 56½ kWh.

That's a decrease of about 17%.

I doubt that I will have the same kind of decrease tomorrow. Forecasters are now saying the temperature won't reach 40° today, then it will drop into the 20s.

Starting tomorrow, though, the forecasts are calling for highs in the 50s and lows in the 30s, which might help.

No comments:

Post a Comment